The HAPPIEST PLACE on the web for UX-DESIGN.
This site is dedicated to exploring the creativity found in Disney parks and other experiences – and examining how we can use this to improve our own products and services. Design professionals are constantly on the lookout for new sources of inspiration. My hope is that we can discover new ideas from a source many only associate with an old mouse.
“We keep moving forward… opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” –Walt Disney
The title of the site, EXPERIENCEdzine, is a mash-up. You could interpret or pronounce it two different ways:
- “experience design” – an homage to my profession and a good pun.
- “experience Disney magazine” – an homage to the main focus.
As an introduction, I encourage you to read the “To all who come to this happy place – Welcome!” post. In that post, I attempt to explain why this topic is worthy of focus.
Me (Brandon Satanek)
- A husband to a patient wife and a father to two cool kids.
- A human factors engineer, usability specialist, user experience designer or whatever we call ourselves lately. Degrees from both Penn State (IE-1995) and Virginia Tech (IE/HF-1998).
- A long-time U2 fan.
- An even longer-time LEGO fan.
- And, a recovering Star Wars fan – and will stay that way until Han Solo again starts shooting first and Darth Vader stops yelling, “Noooooo!”
- I will occasionally pick up a racquet to engage in some sport – but, I’m careful not to actually call it playing.
- I will occasionally pick up a guitar and strum some strings – but, I’m even more care not to call it playing.
My Disney Resume
And yes, to admit my bias, I appreciate most things Disney – the creative half, not the corporate half. Growing-up, we had family in the central Florida area which made the Disney parks a convenient excursion. While I wouldn’t want to go every year (not that there is anything wrong with that!), I have been fortunate to visit periodically. For your trouble of reading this page, I’ll even reward you with a few embarrassing photos.
Trips to Magic Kingdom, EPcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, DisneyLand
1975 MK // 1981 MK // 1984 MK, EP // 1985 EP // 1986 EP // 1989 EP, HS // 1993 EP, HS // 1996 MK, EP, HS, AK // 2002 MK, EP, HS, AK // 2003 EP // 2005 DL // 2007 DL // 2010 MK, EP, HS, AK